Duomo, Orvieto: the north wall

RIBApix ref no RIBA25489
Architect/DesignerArnolfo di Cambio (c. 1240-c. 1302)
Maitani, Lorenzo (1255-1330)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryItaly
CityOrvieto
Subject Date1330
Image Date1963
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ITA/644 (ES2236.8)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the cathedral began in 1290 under the direction of Fra Bevignate di Perugia using a design by Arnolfo di Cambio. Progress was slow until in 1309 the Sienese architect Lorenzo Maitani was commissioned to work on the church and solve several issues concerning the load-bearing capabilities of the building. He substantially changed the design and construction of the building, creating the current façade and much of the interior before his death in 1330 shortly before the completion of the duomo.

Subject tags

windows, cathedrals, cladding, marble