Durham Cathedral: the arcaded Galilee chapel with the wooden sculpture of St Mary by Josef Pyrz

RIBApix ref no RIBA100216
Architect/DesignerPyrz, Josef (1946-)
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityDurham
Subject Date1189
Image Date1998
ViewInterior
StyleRomanesque
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 98-13AB
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This late Romanesque chapel, also known as the Lady Chapel, was built in 1175-1189 by Bishop Hugh le Puiset at the west end of the cathedral, forty years after the completion of the main building.

Subject tags

arches, sculpture, cathedrals, columns, church fittings