Skip to navigation Skip to content

Extension to St Luke's Hospital, Sydney Street, Chelsea, London: the entrance facade

RIBApix ref no RIBA50358
Architect/DesignerAdams Holden & Pearson
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1948
Image Date1948
ViewExterior
StyleNeo-Georgian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceHolden 33013
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally a workhouse for St Luke's Parish, Chelsea, established in 1730 to which an infirmary was added in 1870, the complex was taken over by the London County Council in 1930. It became known as St Luke's Hospital in 1948 when it was incorporated into the new National Health Service (NHS) specializing in Geriatrics. It closed in 1974.

Subject tags

brickwork, entrances, hospitals