Factory for Ilford Limited, Paycocke Road, Basildon, Essex: two of the production blocks

RIBApix ref no RIBA75661
Architect/DesignerBasildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
Davies, Anthony Butler
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1960
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceBM/IND/57/B (Galwey Ilford B/13)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Anthony Davies was the Chief Architect for the Basildon Development Corporation. The cladding on the factory consists of glass and vitreous enamel panels set within a steel frame. OTES:

Subject tags

steel, factories, cladding, cars