Factory for Ilford Ltd, Paycocke Road, Basildon, Essex: the steel water tower and the boiler house

RIBApix ref no RIBA61318
Architect/DesignerBasildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
Davies, Anthony Butler
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1960
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS60 1905
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Anthony Davies was the Chief Architect for the Basildon Development Corporation.

Subject tags

factories, new towns, water towers, heating and ventilating, chimneys