Fondaco dei Tedeschi (now the Central Post Office), Campo San Bartolomeo, Venice: elevation of doorway

RIBApix ref no RIBA84424
Architect/DesignerScarpagnino [Abbondi], Antonio (b. 1465-1470, d. 1549)
Spavento, Giorgio (d. 1509)
Artist/PhotographerVisentini, Antonio (1688-1782)
CountryItaly
CityVenice
Subject Date1500
Image Date1700
ViewExterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSB8/2
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This drawing was made either by Visentini or one of his assistants. The Fondaco, first constructed in 1228, was rebuilt following a fire in 1505 and was the commercial centre for Germanic traders in Venice. It was radically altered in the 20th century when it became Venice's Central Post Office.

Subject tags

entrances, columns, warehouses, commercial buildings