Fondazione Querini Stampalia, Santa Maria Formosa, Venice: detail of interior wall cladding in travertine of Rapolano separated by a brass strip, and the concrete paved floor

RIBApix ref no RIBA40613
Architect/DesignerScarpa, Carlo (1906-1978)
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryItaly
CityVenezia
Subject Date1963
Image Date2003
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumDigital image
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Chemollo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This 16th century Venetian palazzo housed the library and the art collection left to the public by Count Giovanni Querini Stampalia in 1869. Carlo Scarpa's remodelling of the ground floor and the garden in 1961-1963, included the removal of extraneous 19th century additions, the repositioning of the entrances, the recovery of the original space of the 'portego' (water entrance from the canal) and the layout of the garden.

Subject tags

concrete, museums, cladding, stone, restoration, conversion of buildings, floors, town houses