Former church of Santa Marta, Porta Marta, Venice: the lift shaft

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA40478
Architect/DesignerDe Feo, Vittorio (1928-2002)
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryItaly
CityVenice
Subject Date2004
Image Date2004
ViewInterior
MediumDigital image
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Orsenigo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This 14th century church, located on the western-most boundary of Venice, was deconsecrated in 1811, later used as a warehouse and progressively fell into disrepair. Its restoration by Vittorio De Feo was part of a pilot project by the Municipality of Venice and the Port Authority for upgrading Venice's port waterfront. The interior, fitted with a metal structure clad with pear wood panels, now serves as a conference and exhibition venue, which includes a projection room, shops and a cafeteria.

Subject tags

brickwork, churches, restoration, cultural centres, conversion of buildings, wood, lifts