Former Flower Market, Covent Garden, London: the east elevation on Wellington Street with three arches of white brick, Portland stone and salmon terracotta

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA47861
Architect/DesignerW. Cubitt & Company
Artist/PhotographerToomey, Bill (1922-)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1872
Image Date1975
ViewExterior
StyleVictorian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 199 Covent Garden 1980s
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Designed by William R. Rogers (born Rodriguez) of W. Cubitt & Company and built in 1871-1872 this complex building with its extensions has fronts on four streets. The Flower Market relocated to New Covent Garden, Nine Elms, Battersea, in 1974 when the building was left vacant. It was eventually restored and converted in 1978-1980 for the London Transport Museum by the London Transport Architect's Department.

Subject tags

brickwork, stone, cast iron, markets, terracotta, arcades