Foro Romano, Rome: the Temple of Castor and Pollux and Santa Maria Liberatrice in the left foreground and Monte Aventino in the distance

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA7931
Artist/PhotographerPiranesi, Giovanni Battista (1720-1778)
CountryItaly
CityRome
Subject Date1756
Image Date1756
ViewTopographical
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSB100/1(41)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 41 NOTES: Santa Maria Liberatrice was built in the 18th century over the ruins of Santa Maria Antiqua, one of Rome's most important churches in the 9th century. It was pulled down in 1901-1902 in order to excavate the remains of Santa Maria Antiqua which are now protected in a modern brick building.

Subject tags

churches, ruins, columns, archaeological sites, temples