Frauenkirche, Frauenplatz, Munich, seen from the tower of Peterskirche

RIBApix ref no RIBA27804
Architect/DesignerJorg von Halspach (fl. 1468-1488)
Rottaler, Lukas (fl. 1487-1508)
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryGermany
CityMunich
Subject Date1525
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDK/G/709 (DKN/G 943)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the church began in 1468 under the direction of Jorg von Halspach, who was replaced after his death in 1488 by Lukas Rottaler. The building was consecrated in 1494, although the towers were incomplete. The copper onion domes were added to the towers in 1524-1525.

Subject tags

brickwork, belfries, bell towers, churches, copper, domes