Geghard Monastery: the first rock cut chamberwith a relief above the arches depicting a pair of lions with chains around their necks, flanking an eagle with a lamb in its claws

RIBApix ref no RIBA114390
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryArmenia
CityGeghard
Subject Date1200
Image Date2009
ViewInterior
StyleByzantine
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceORCH Orsenigo Geghart_F_R55F02
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Orsenigo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The monastery at Geghard is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The complex was founded in the 4th century although the main church was built in 1215. Its significance is in the vestry or gavit, which is partly free-standing and partly carved into the cliff, and a series of chapels hewn into the rock which date from the mid-13th century.

Subject tags

Chapels, churches, arches, sculpture, monasteries & convents