Geoffrey Chaucer (formerly Trinity / Two Saints) School, Harper Road, Southwark, London: staircase from the assembly hall showing one of the main roof supports of the assembly hall block with the decorative pool to collect rainwater discharged from the roof

RIBApix ref no RIBA56019
Architect/DesignerChamberlin Powell & Bon
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1961
Image Date1962
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL50863 [Box 133 CPB]
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally called Trinity School or Trinity House School from the Victorian building on the site, the new school was to be named 'Two Saints' as designated by the London County Council and was described as such in the architectural press at the time. The most strking aspect of the new school was the assembly hall block with its pentagram plan of five individual hyperbolic paraboloid roofs separated by glazing and touching only at their common peripheral supports. Each roof covers one 'year room' in each point of the pentagram on the first floor. In 2007 the school became the Ark Globe Academy.

Subject tags

roofs, stairs, schools