Skip to navigation Skip to content

Ghyllgrove neighbourhood centre shops, Basildon, Essex

RIBApix ref no RIBA61887
Architect/DesignerBasildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1962
Image Date1962
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS62 2001
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Built for the Basildon Development Corporation, this centre in a small neighbourhood near the town centre comprised two shops with two two-bedroom flats above. The flats are timber framed with cladding of black weatherboarding in the Essex tradition.

Subject tags

flats, housing, town planning, new towns, shopping centres, timber framing, weatherboarding