Grammar School, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon: the schoolroom in the Over Hall on the upper storey

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA42111
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityStratford-upon-Avon
Subject Date1417
Image Date1955
ViewInterior
StyleTudor
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ENG/4193 (ES2019)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Grammar School was originally the guildhall of the Gild of the Holy Cross, the ruling body of Stratford to the time of the Dissolution. The ground floor was the guildhall proper while the Over Hall became the town's school room. King Edward VI, having suppressed the Gild, entrusted the guild's school to the town corporation in 1553 after which it was known as Edward VI Grammar School. It is generally believed that William Shakespeare was educated in this room.

Subject tags

societies' buildings, schools, seating, timber framing, guildhalls, desks, classrooms