Grammar school (former) with the council offices behind, Market Harborough

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA115731
Architect/DesignerSlater & Carpenter
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityMarket Harborough
Subject Date1614
Image Date1982
ViewExterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceMC G 030382
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The former grammar school, founded in 1607 and built in 1614, with an open ground floor intended to serve as a market space. The bell-turret, brick stairtower and pargeted plasterwork date from a restoration of 1868 by Slater & Carpenter. The building was restored again in 1977 by A. Drew-Edwards.

Subject tags

factories, churches, arches, schools, museums, libraries, conversion of buildings, markets, town halls