Grand cinema, 180 Lord Street, Southport, Merseyside: the auditorium seen from the Grand Stalls

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA59746
Architect/DesignerTonge, George Edward (b. 1878)
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CitySouthport
Subject Date1938
Image Date1938
ViewInterior
StyleArt Deco
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL3351
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built in 1923 as a garage and car showroom, the building was converted into a luxury cinema by George E. Tonge in 1938. It closed in 1967 and was converted into a bingo hall. It was designated Grade II listed status and latterly has operated as a casino.

Subject tags

interior decoration, cinemas, lamps, lighting fixtures, ceilings, lighting, auditoria, seating