Hafod House, near Pontarfynach: a greenhouse incorporating one of the Gothick windows from the house

RIBApix ref no RIBA111161
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: Wales
CityPontarfynach
Image Date1950
ViewExterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceES114.7
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The house was built originally by Baldwin (begun 1786) for the owner Thomas Johnes (1748-1816). A library and conservatory were added by John Nash 1793-1794. A disastrous fire in 1807 destroyed all of Nash’s work, but the house was rebuilt by Baldwin (1807-1810) retaining Nash’s library. A large extension was added by Anthony Salvin in 1846-1851 and the house was altered again from 1872. The estate declined in the early 20th century and the house was abandoned in 1942. It was demolished in 1956.

Subject tags

glasshouses