Hafod House, near Pontarfynach: the morning room

RIBApix ref no RIBA111152
Architect/DesignerBaldwin, Thomas (1750-1820)
Nash, John (1752-1835)
Salvin, Anthony (1799-1881)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: Wales
CityPontarfynach
Subject Date1810
Image Date1950
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/WAL/60 (ES110.5)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The house was built originally by Baldwin (begun 1786) for the owner Thomas Johnes (1748-1816). A library and conservatory were added by John Nash 1793-1794. A disastrous fire in 1807 destroyed all of Nash’s work, but the house was rebuilt by Baldwin (1807-1810) retaining Nash’s library. A large extension was added by Anthony Salvin in 1846-1851 and the house was altered again from 1872. The estate declined in the early 20th century and the house was abandoned in 1942. It was demolished in 1956.

Subject tags

country houses, dereliction