Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya Museum), Istanbul: detail of a mosaic of the Empress Zoe

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA9387
Architect/DesignerAnthemius of Tralles
Isidore of Miletus
Artist/PhotographerCox, Bernard Hugh (1907?-1986)
CountryTurkey
CityIstanbul
Subject Date1005
Image Date1970
ViewInterior
StyleByzantine
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceTR 89
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Bernard Cox / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Church of the Holy Wisdom, known as Hagia Sophia in Greek, Sancta Sophia in Latin, and Ayasofya or Aya Sofya in Turkish, was a Byzantine church until 1453 when Sultan Mehmet the Conqueror made it his imperial mosque. In 1934 the mosque was secularized and turned into the Ayasofya Museum.

Subject tags

churches, museums, conversion of buildings, mosques, mosaics