Hofburg Palace, Michaelerplatz, Vienna: the St Michael Wing seen from the portico of Loos Haus

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA40114
Architect/DesignerFischer von Erlach, Josef Emanuel (1693-1742)
Kirschner, Ferdinand (1821-1896)
Artist/PhotographerORCH Orsenigo-Chemollo
CountryAustria
CityVienna
Subject Date1893
Image Date2006
ViewExterior
MediumDigital image
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit ORCH Chemollo / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This palace is the former imperial residence and was the seat of the Emperor of Austria until 1918. It is now the official seat of the Austrian Federal President. The Michael Wing, originally planned by Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach as the connection between the Winter Riding School and the Imperial Chancellory Wing, was built by Ferdinand Kirschner in 1889-1893 using a slightly altered plan.

Subject tags

government buildings, marble, stone, squares, palaces, colonnades