Holy Trinity, Balsham, Cambridgeshire: the richly carved choir stalls

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6759
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBalsham
Subject Date1400
Image Date1949
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/362 (ES56.4)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on this church began in the 13th century. These choir stalls in Perpendicular style were commissioned by John of Sleford (d.1401), rector, Master of the Wardrobe to Edward III, and canon of Ripon and Wells.

Subject tags

churches, seating, decorative woodwork