Horyu-ji Temple, Horyu-ji Sannai, Ikaruga-cho, Nara Prefecture: western precinct, looking from the Great Lecture Hall (Daikodo), with the main hall (Kondo) on the left, the pagoda (Goju-no-To) on the right and the Great South Gate (Nandaimon) in the centre background

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA135715
Artist/PhotographerBarr, John
CountryJapan
CityIkararuga-cho
Subject Date0600
Image Date2019
ViewExterior
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceBarr 19-01-07
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Barr / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Founded in the 7th century the Horyu-ji Buddhist Temple is considered to be one of the oldest extant wooden buildings in the world. It is also a UNESCO world heritage site. A massive restoration programme was begun in 1934 and not completed until 1985. The temple complex is made of two areas, the Sai-in in the west and the To-in in the east. It also encompasses a five-storey pagoda and the main hall, known as the Kondo, both located in the western half of the complex.

Subject tags

pagodas, halls, temples, timber construction