House of Lords, Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminster, London: Robing Room

RIBApix ref no RIBA38631
Architect/DesignerBarry, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
Pugin, Augustus Welby Northmore (1812-1852)
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1858
Image Date1950
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP141/242
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: At the time this photograph was taken the Robing Room had served as the chamber for the House of Lords while the House of Commons sat in the Lords' chamber. The Commons chamber had been destroyed by bombing on 10 May 1941. The chamber was rebuilt by Giles Gilbert Scott and was completed late in 1950 and the Lords returned to their own chamber in 1951.

Subject tags

parliament buildings, interior decoration, decorative panels, halls, seating