Institut francais, Queensberry Place, South Kensington, London: close-up of the intricate brickwork facade

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA24639
Architect/DesignerBonnet, Patrice (1879-1964)
Thomas, Albert John (1876-1964)
Artist/PhotographerNewbery, Sydney W. (1894-1985)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1939
Image Date1939
ViewExterior
StyleExpressionist
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP71/107
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Institut francais du Royaume-Uni, originally known as the Universite des Lettres francaises, opened in 1910. It moved several times from its original premises at Marble Arch House, Hyde Park, and finally settled at numbers 15-17 Queensberry Place and was inaugurated by President Albert Lebrun and HRH Princess Mary on 21 March 1939.

Subject tags

brickwork, cultural centres, decorative stonework, educational buildings