Kenningstock Mill, Camelford, Cornwall: the electric turbine

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA109841
Architect/DesignerAustin-Smith, Inette
Austin-Smith, John Michael (1918-1999)
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityCamelford
Subject Date1980
Image Date1980
ViewInterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceMC Q 180580
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The mill building dates back before the 19th century and was still in use up to 1957 (corn being ground until 1947 and china clay until 1957). The china clay was ground through water turbine generated electricity. The architects Michael and Inette Austin-Smith converted the mill into a house with a gallery on the top floor in 1980, making use of the mill's hydro-electric power to provide heating and lighting.

Subject tags

houses, conversion of buildings, mills, machinery