Kettle's Yard, Northampton Street, Cambridge

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA4409
Architect/DesignerAldridge, Rowland de Winton (b.1906)
Ede, Harold Stanley 'Jim' (1895-1990)
Ede, Helen (d. 1977)
Martin, Sir Leslie (1908-2000)
Owers, David
Artist/PhotographerLeigh, Edward
CountryUK: England
CityCambridge
Subject Date1970
Image Date1970
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP601/89 (Edward Leigh C30796)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Kettle's Yard museum was created by Jim and Helen Ede from 1957-1973, out of four derelict Georgian cottages. The initial work on the house was by architect Rowland de Winton Aldridge in 1957, but the exhibition spaces were added by Sir Leslie Martin and David Owers in 1969-1970. The whole house museum has been refurbished by Jamie Fobert Architects in 2018. The cottage and the 1970s extension by Martin was retained, as well as the Victorian facade on Castle Street. Everything in between was demolished, including a later extension by Martin from the 1980s.

Subject tags

churches, artists' houses & studios, museums, conversion of buildings