Liverpool Central Library: the domed ceiling of the old reading room

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA135266
Architect/DesignerAustin-Smith Lord
Artist/PhotographerDavis, Bill
CountryUK: England
Subject Date2013
Image Date2018
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceDavis DSC_1215A
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Bill Davis / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES The Central Library, Liverpool (aka the William Brown Library) and Museum were built 1860, designed by John Weightman. Badly bombed in 1941, they were rebuilt behind the facade, reopening in 1961. This has all been demolished and a new library inserted behind the facade by Austin-Smith Lord. But the circular domed library, known as the Picton Reading Room (1879) which survived the bombing has been preserved in the new structure, as seen here.

Subject tags

lamps, lighting fixtures, ceilings, libraries, domes