Liverpool Central Library: the main staircase

RIBApix ref no RIBA135265
Architect/DesignerAustin-Smith Lord
Artist/PhotographerDavis, Bill
CountryUK: England
CityLiverpool
Subject Date2013
Image Date2018
ViewInterior
ViewWorm's-eye
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceDavis DSC_1214
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Bill Davis / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES The Central Library, Liverpool (aka the William Brown Library) and Museum were built 1860, designed by John Weightman. Badly bombed in 1941, they were rebuilt behind the facade, reopening in 1961. This has all been demolished and a new library inserted behind the facade by Austin-Smith Lord. But the circular domed library, known as the Picton Reading Room (1879) which survived the bombing has been preserved in the new structure.

Subject tags

stairs, lamps, lighting fixtures, libraries, domes