London Charterhouse, West Smithfield, London: the Great Hall with the screens passage to the left

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA102046
Architect/DesignerSeely & Paget
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1571
Image Date2008
ViewInterior
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceMC A 170608d
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The London Charterhouse, founded in 1370-1371 was one of a handful of Carthusian monasteries in England. After the dissolution it passed into the ownership of Lord North, who made substantial alterations. In 1611 it was sold to Thomas Sutton, who created the almshouses which still function today. Severely damaged during the Second World War it was restored by the architects Seely & Pagett in the 1950s, notably the interior of the Great Hall seen here. The screens passage has been dated to 1571.

Subject tags

screens, monasteries & convents, almshouses