Marienkirche and Rathaus, Markt, Altstadt, Lubeck

RIBApix ref no RIBA60883
CountryGermany
CityLubeck
Subject Date1890
Image Date1890
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference41518/12
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the Marienkirche began in c.1200 and took over 150 years to complete. It was completely burnt down in the Allied bombing raid on 28-29 March 1942 in which a fifth of the city was destroyed. Nevertheless, it was thoroughly restored by 1959 under the supervision of B. Fendrich. Construction on the town hall (Rathaus) began in 1226 and was completed in 1484. The Dutch Renaissance style loggia was added in 1570.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, spires, squares, fountains, town halls