National Congress buildings, Eixo Monumental, Brasilia: the Chamber of Deputies and the Towers of Congress

RIBApix ref no RIBA2161-16
Architect/DesignerNiemeyer, Oscar (1907-2012)
CountryBrazil
CityBrasilia
Subject Date1958
Image Date1955
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceFM/PLA/2/G
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The city of Brasilia was planned and developed in 1956 with Lucio Costa as chief urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as principal architect. It formally became the capital of Brazil in 1960 and is the seat of all three branches of the Brazilian government. The National Congress buildings completed in 1958, comprise the Federal Senate, the Chamber of Deputies and the administrative twin Towers of Congress.

Subject tags

modernism less is more, skyscrapers, town planning, government buildings, parliament buildings, round buildings, towns & cities, 1950s Modern Movement Architecture Gallery