Skip to navigation Skip to content

National Film Theatre, South Bank, London: the auditorium

RIBApix ref no RIBA42475
Architect/DesignerLondon County Council. Architects Department
Artist/PhotographerToomey, Bill (1922-)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1957
Image Date1958
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 450
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The National Film Theatre (NFT) initially opened in a temporary building, the Telekinema, at the Festival of Britain in 1951. It moved to this location under Waterloo Bridge, replacing the Thameside restaurant, in 1957. The NFT was renamed the British Film Institute Southbank (BFI Southbank) in 2007.

Subject tags

cinemas, cultural centres, auditoria, seating