Nijo Castle, Kyoto: the Koun-tei (teahouse) on one of the lakes

RIBApix ref no RIBA114572
Artist/PhotographerBarr, John
CountryJapan
CityKyoto
Subject Date1603
Image Date2012
ViewExterior
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceBarr 12-09-04
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit John Barr / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The castle consists of two concentric rings of fortifications, the Ninomaru Palace, the ruins of the Honmaru Palace and various ancilliary buildings, gardens and moat. Construction began in 1601 and was completed in 1626. It was built as the Kyoto residence of the Tokugawa shoguns.

Subject tags

garden buildings, castles, palaces, lakes