Skip to navigation Skip to content

Northwick cinema, Ombersley Road, Worcester

RIBApix ref no RIBA59732
Architect/DesignerWilford, Charles Edmund
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityWorcester
Subject Date1938
Image Date1938
ViewExterior
StyleArt Deco
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL3331
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built and operated by an independent exhibitor, this cinema was designed by Charles E. Wilford while John Alexander was responsible for the interiors. It closed as a cinema in 1966 and soon reopened as a bingo hall. The last bingo hall, Mecca, closed in 1992. The auditorium was restored and the building reopened in 1991 as a live entertainment venue only to close in 1996. The building was designated Grade II listed status and was converted into an antiques centre in 2006. The interior plasterwork by John Alexander and many of the original details were restored and retained.

Subject tags

brickwork, entrances, cinemas, lettering, signs (<design>), canopies