Old Duke of Bedford school, Thorney, Cambridgeshire

RIBApix ref no RIBA15993
Architect/DesignerTeulon, Samuel Sanders (1812-1873)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1849
Image Date1958
StyleGothic Revival
Library ReferenceESP/SCH/18 (ES4856)
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: In 1846-1849 the seventh Duke of Bedford initiated the rebuilding of the village as a 'model village'. The new buildings, designed by Samuel Sanders Teulon, included this school with three schoolrooms, for boys, girls, and infants, a post office, shops, a relieving office for the poor and infirm, and many cottages. These premises ceased to be used as a school in 1925.

Subject tags

town planning, schools, villages