Palais Strousberg, (the former British Embassy),70 Wilhlemstrasse, Berlin: the main hall

RIBApix ref no RIBA106643
Architect/DesignerOrth, August (1828-1901)
CountryGermany
CityBerlin
Subject Date1868
Image Date1905
ViewInterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceA139/69
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Palais Strousberg was built for the railway magnate Bethel Henry Strousberg in 1867-1868. Following a decline in his fortunes the palace was subsequently acquired by the British government for use as their embassy in 1884. Orth carried out some alterations at this date, and the building remained an embassy until 1939. It was left in ruins at the end of the war and was demolished by the East German government in 1950.

Subject tags

town houses, embassies, consular buildings