Palazzo Apostolico and the Basilica della Santa Casa, Piazza della Madonna, Loreto, Marche

RIBApix ref no RIBA50667
Architect/DesignerBramante, Donato (1444-1514)
Fontana, Giovanni (1540-1614)
Maderno, Carlo (1556-1629)
Sangallo, Antonio da, il Giovane (1484-1546)
Vanvitelli, Luigi (1700-1773)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryItaly
CityLoreto
Subject Date1961
Image Date1961
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33621/51 (IDW 68/1961)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Palazzo Apostolico, designed principally by Bramante and Sangallo the Younger, houses the Museo Pinacoteca della Santa Casa. The Baroque fountain at the centre of the square, erected in 1614, is the work of Carlo Maderno and Giovanni Fontana. Construction on the church began in 1469 and involved many architects: the cupola was designed by Sangallo the Younger and the campanile by Luigi Vanvitelli. Building work ended with the completion of the late Renaissance entrance facade in 1587. This image is one of many taken by Ivy de Wolfe, the pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings, of Italian subjects. Many of these appeared in the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, museums, squares, fountains, art galleries, palaces