Palazzo Apostolico, Piazza della Madonna, Loreto, Marche

RIBApix ref no RIBA50664
Architect/DesignerBramante, Donato (1444-1514)
Fontana, Giovanni (1540-1614)
Maderno, Carlo (1556-1629)
Sangallo, Antonio da, il Giovane (1484-1546)
Sansovino, Jacopo (1486-1570)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryItaly
CityLoreto
Subject Date1500
Image Date1961
ViewExterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33621/12 (IDW 48/1961)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Palazzo Apostolico, designed principally by Bramante and Sangallo the Younger, houses the Museo Pinacoteca della Santa Casa. The Baroque fountain at the centre of the square, erected in 1614, is the work of Carlo Maderno and Giovanni Fontana. This image is one of many taken by Ivy de Wolfe, the pseudonym of Hazel de Cronin Hastings, of Italian subjects. Many of these appeared in the book 'The Italian Townscape' by Ivor de Wolfe (London, Architectural Press, 1963).

Subject tags

stairs, museums, squares, fountains, art galleries, palaces