Palazzo Farnese, Rome

RIBApix ref no RIBA7985
Architect/DesignerMichelangelo (1475-1564)
Sangallo, Antonio da, il Giovane (1484-1546)
Artist/PhotographerPiranesi, Giovanni Battista (1720-1778)
CountryItaly
CityRome
Subject Date1773
Image Date1773
ViewTopographical
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceSB101/1(107)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes SOURCE: Giovanni Battista Piranesi. Vedute di Roma (Rome, [1747?-1788]), pl. 107 NOTES: This High Renaissance palace, commissioned by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in 1515, was begun in 1517, redesigned in 1534 and 1541 by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, modified under Michelangelo from 1546, and completed in 1589. It has been used as the French Embassy since 1635.

Subject tags

fountains, town houses, embassies, consular buildings