Palazzo Pitti, Florence: view from the Boboli Gardens looking towards the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in the distance

RIBApix ref no RIBA14043
Architect/DesignerArnolfo di Cambio (c. 1240-c. 1302)
Brunelleschi, Filippo (1377-1446)
Fancelli, Luca (1430-1495)
CountryItaly
CityFlorence
Subject Date1560
Image Date1870
ViewExterior
StyleRenaissance
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceA110/1
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, also known as the Duomo, was begun in 1296 by Arnolfo di Cambio and completed in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi with the addition of the famous dome. Palazzo Pitti was begun 1458 by Luca Fancelli with considerable additions being made by Giorgio Vasari in the 1560s.

Subject tags

Gardens, cathedrals, stone, domes, fountains, palaces