Palladium cinema, 85 King's Road, Brighton

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA59687
Architect/DesignerMatcham, Frank (1854-1920)
Mather, Andrew (1891-1938)
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityBrighton
Subject Date1912
Image Date1937
ViewExterior
StyleEdwardian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL2302
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Designed by Frank Matcham and opened as a live theatre and cinema in 1912, these premises were taken over by Odeon in April 1935, modernized by Andrew Mather, and reopened as Odeon in June of the same year. It was renamed Palladium in 1937 and closed in 1940. Taken over by an independent distributor in 1942, it was closed in 1956 by a compulsory purchase order. It was demolished in 1963 to provide part of the site for Brighton Centre.

Subject tags

entrances, cinemas, lettering, signs (<design>), canopies