Part of the remains of the east elevation of the Royal Horticultural Society arcades, South Kensington, London

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA61180
Architect/DesignerFowke, Francis (1823-1865)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1859
Image Date1962
ViewExterior
StyleVictorian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP628/154
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Royal Horticultural Society took a lease on part of the land purchased by the Royal Commission for the Exhibition 1851 from the profits of the exhibition with the purpose of laying out gardens. The Italian-style gardens were laid in terraces surrounded by arcades of brick, tile and terracotta and a great conservatory. It lasted from around 1861 to 1888 when the RHS moved to Victoria. Remnants of the arcades were used for storage by the surrounding museums for many years afterwards.

Subject tags

brickwork, garden buildings, capitals, terracotta