Petworth House, West Sussex: the North Gallery

RIBApix ref no RIBA25578
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityPetworth
Subject Date1827
Image Date1959
ViewInterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/EHS/990 (ES5289)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The house was rebuilt by an unknown architect, probably Daniel Marot, from 1688 for Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset. It was remodelled after a fire in 1714, and further altered in 1756-1763 by Matthew Brettingham the elder, and in 1774-1779 by Matthew Brettingham the younger. The North Gallery was an 18th century addition by the 3rd Lord Egremont and was extended twice by his son in 1824 and 1827 to house the growing art collection.

Subject tags

country houses, sculpture, art galleries