Priory Green Estate extension (now Priory Heights), Wynford Street, Finsbury, London: the spiral staircase

RIBApix ref no RIBA55978
Architect/DesignerSkinner Bailey & Lubetkin
Tecton
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1957
Image Date1957
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMAL32484 [Box 122 Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin]
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Designed by Tecton in parallel with the Spa Green Estate, Priory Green was actually completed somewhat later by Skinner Bailey & Lubetkin in 1943-1957. The original design, part of a larger plan conceived before the war in 1937, was modified to take account of the changed post-war situation. The site, which originally was very small, was enlarged by bomb damage but at the same time the Council's housing fund suffered from cuts in government subsidies and Priory Green was denied the money available to the development at Spa Green. Rosebery Avenue opened in 1949 and the first stage of the estate was completed in 1952 consisting of 269 flats in the two eight-storey blocks and the four four-storey blocks. The third eight-storey block, community centre and public house were completed c. 1957. The scheme as first conceived was part of a unified programme that it was hoped would transform Finsbury and alleviate its appalling housing and social problems. The coherence of the strategy, however, was destroyed by changes in personnel in the Council and by post-war austerity.

Subject tags

flats, housing, concrete, spiral stairs, Social Housing: 1950s