Railway Locomotive Testing Station, Rugby: Class A4, 60007, 'Sir Nigel Gresey' on the rolling road ready for the opening of the station

RIBApix ref no RIBA49889
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityRugby
Subject Date1948
Image Date1948
ViewInterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP233/97
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: An idea of Sir Nigel Gresey, Chief Mechanical Engineer of LNER (London North Eastern Railway), building on this station began in 1936 as a joint project between LNER and LMS (London Midland Railway). Work was suspended during World War II, and the station finally opened in October 1948 under British Railways. Testing of steam locomotives continued until 1959 but the station did not officially close until 1970. The building was demolished in 1984.

Subject tags

railway stations, trains