Redland Chapel, Bristol

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6926
Architect/DesignerHalfpenny, William (d. 1755)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityBristol
Subject Date1743
Image Date1961
ViewExterior
StyleGeorgian
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/1084 (ES7712)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This was built as a private chapel-of-ease in 1741-1743 for John Cossins of Redland Court, the local manor house, but was not consecrated until 1790. The chapel became a parish church when a parish was formed at Redland in 1942.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, entrances, pediments