Rosslyn Chapel, Midlothian

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA14634
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: Scotland
CityRosslyn
Subject Date1484
Image Date1954
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/SCO/849 (ES733)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Erected by Sir William St Clair, construction on this chapel began in c.1446 and continued until his death in 1484. It was intended to comprise a choir, nave and transepts, but only the choir was completed. No repairs were carried out until 1736 and a further restoration was undertaken in 1861-1862. It is also known as Rosslyn Chapel and was formerly St Matthew's Collegiate Church.

Subject tags

Chapels, buttresses