Royal Courts of Justice and Temple Bar, Strand / Fleet Street, City of London, seen from the south-east

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA5337
Architect/DesignerStreet, George Edmund (1824-1881)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1882
Image Date1970
ViewExterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/LON/651 (ESB13417)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Royal Courts of Justice were completed in 1888 to designs won in open competition by George Edmund Street. Until 1888 Temple Bar, marking the western boundary of the City of London with that of the City of Westminster, was demarcated by a stone gateway by Christopher Wren erected in 1672. It was replaced in 1880 by the Temple Bar Memorial by Sir Horace Jones with a statue of a griffin rampant atop by Charles Birch Bell.

Subject tags

law courts