Royal Festival Hall, South Bank, London: the riverside facade with the Shot Tower in the left background

RIBApix ref no RIBA42675
Architect/DesignerLondon County Council. Architects Department
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1951
Image Date1951
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP447/189
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.

Subject tags

riverside buildings, exhibition buildings, concert halls